Monday, December 31, 2007

Getting Settled



New Apartment



It's funny what things you take for granted. Pizza for example. Pizza here is absolutely wonderful, however, it does not taste like American pizza and Emily has not been happy with the result.


We are all adjusting!

We moved into our apartment and it is wonderful. It's in one of the nicer areas near all the museums, State Opera house, and most of the exciting areas of Vienna. It has high ceilings (see the picture) and heated by radiators. Despite this sense of spaciousness there is a coziness about it that makes it seem comfortable and homey. Emily and our room is very spacious. Nathan's is really a hallway of closets and about an arm's span across. He is really making a sacrifice so send him lots of letters.

Getting out of the BYU apartment turned out to be a bit of a challenge. Lori and Emily stayed at our new apartment while Nathan and I went back for our eight large suitcases (about 400 lbs as weighed at the Delta checkin). I had the number for the taxi service that took us from the airport. Apparently there is something I don't understand about dialing in Vienna because I just kept getting one of those 'you have reached a number that does not work' messages. I saw a taxi pass outside and noted the number and tried to call it, but still only got errors. I started to get worried (see my previous post) and went to find another taxi. You have to go to taxi stands to get a taxi here and you can't flag one down because they will not respond that way (which I didn't know at the time). Finally, I remembered we were near a train station and thought that might be taxis there. I knew it would take two to get us all there so told the driver the situation (in German, but he quickly switched to English once I was very far into it) and he told taxi driver behind him we needed him too. We drove around the corner, and Nathan and I hauled all eight suitcases off the second floor appartment and out to the cabs. They helped load them (a little) and, not wanting to have our bags alone in a cab and trust they followed us (which of course they would have in Austria), I told Nathan to get in the other cab. Nathan, of course, as never even ridden in a cab before and to have to jump into one alone in a foreign city was an act of great courage. He didn't hesitate but there was a look of deep concern on his face. We made it safely to the new apartment and hauled up the bags. We live on the fifth floor and luckily there is an old ironwroght 'lift' that runs next to the stairway. We are one of the 'keyed' floors (it takes a key to get to our floor) which means we are special.
Our apartment is very nice. Near what's called the Naschmarkt (Sweet things to eat Market). A flea market-like expanse of fresh market foods of every variety: breads, cheeses, meats, vegetables, nuts, grains etc. We bought some fresh ginger and a bunch of roasted chicken halves for dinner our first night in our new apartment. I also picked up some exotic cheeses. I've decided to become a cheese connoisseur while I am here. I've always wanted to be a connoisseur!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how excited I am to get to your blog. and so happy all is well and you are in the coolest place on earth and Im wanting more then ever to join you..and I will>>My plan is to sell enough on ebay to fund my trip. good plan right!! Love the blog and keep it full of pictures..I love you guys..Maureen

The Pecks said...

Hi Sweet Maureen,
I'm so glad we have your address!!! We are in our new place. We went
to Ikea today and got Nathan a quilt cover and 3 covers to go over it.
It was so much fun. I had to take the subway almost to the end and
then take the bus and then walked a block to get there. The hardest
part was coming back cuz we bought so much stuff and it was snowing so
hard. We were soaked by the time we got back. It was fun though. I
will keep you posted as to the adventures we go on. There are some
english speaking but very few. There's a lot of signing going on.
I'll write again soon!!
Love you!!!

Lori

Anonymous said...

So exciting to hear from you and yes, you are on a grande adventure. Does appear Lori is the trooper and learning all the fun things to do and loving the cheeses and goodies. Oh I'm so homesick for it all. - What a blast to watch all the fireworks on New Years Eve. Europe does it like no other place in the world.

Nathan - Germans stare. It takes some getting used to, but you will notice they stare like it's the normal thing to do. Don't get self concious about it. They stare at everyone and anyone.

Just so glad your getting settled. Still think you need a car. - Love and miss you much. - Dad/grandpa