Thursday, September 6, 2012

Weight training

Today while doing my weight training I did a lot of thinking.  For one is this political election.  I watched some of the RNC and most of the DNC so far.  There are a lot of great speeches and some not so great.  Lots of lies and truths but that's politics.  But what really got me mad and sad are how the people treat each other.....on both sides.  Living in a republican state I guess I see more of it towards the minorities.....the democrats......myself.  A few years ago on a sunday at church, I was told I was going to hell cuz I was voting democrat.  Wow......that really brought the spirit in.  Recently I was  told that I wasn't on the "Lord side".  Since when was there a "Lord side?"  I thought the church was neutral in this.  I don't remember it being a commandment or on any temple recommend interview.  I want to make it clear though that it's not everyone or all the republicans I know.  The majority of them are very, very nice and I don't think politics would get between us.  There are just a few that like to let me know what they think of my views......oh well.
Then I got to thinking about a recent death in our ward of our bishop from a sudden heart attack.  He was 55 years old and in great shape.  A great man who did so much service in the ward and with the YM.  He was the YM president when Christopher, Jaron and Nathan were in.  They have great stories about the high adventures they went on with him.  Theres just not a nicer guy.  I see the strength of their family and the love that is surrounding them from family, friends and ward members.  A community of support.  I know it will be hard for them and trying to adjust with him not physically here but I hope the family always knows we are here for them.  So, what is really important?  Is this political stuff?  Maybe for our country and how we want to live on this earth but not for eternity.  I think (me included) get so caught up in all this "crap" that we forget what really matters.......love thy neighbor......no matter what they believe, color of skin, religion, what they wear, etc.  In the end it's how we treat others and how we serve God that will matter.

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Amen :)

Cap said...

I just want people to pay better attention to what is going on. I mean, if you think about it, if you looked into the plans I think most people would not vote for Romney. At least, any person who wants their kids to have a good education. It really worries me. I'm worried about how my future schooling is going to be effected, how my kids schools will be and, I think that is a big reason I'm going into biology education, because, more than almost any issue I care about, education seems fundamentally important to helping our nation grow, and without a GREAT education system we will fall further and further behind.

(Sorry for the edu. kick, but it's been on my mind and I want people to see what damage Romney will do to our concepts of education).

dpeck said...

Great post and I so agree.