Thursday, February 7, 2013

Survived.....barely!

I was born with a weak stomach.  Always had problems with it since I was little so I was concerned about having a colonoscopy.  But I knew I'd have to get it done.  I'm 51 1/2 so I'd better get my butt in there.  Hahaha!!  After witnessing what Steve went through I was pretty nervous about it.  Yesterday I started the liquid diet.  By 8am I knew I was going to have a very hard time.  My stomach was already cramping and rebelling against the jello.  I survived the day with my stomach constantly hurting.  At 6pm was when I was to start taking the meds to totally cleanse you out.  It did that along with a lining of my stomach.....at least thats what it felt like.  And you can't throw it up.  A big no-no!!!  My 2nd dose was at 4am.  I gag it down the best I could in between dry heaving.  Didn't sleep the rest of the night.  My stomach was constantly hurting....a searing pain.  This morning Steve drove me the hospital.  Steve is trying to drive as careful as he can cuz I'm about to lose it.  We get there and checked in.  I get hooked up and tell them that anesthesia makes me really nauseas (not like I wasn't already).  They reassured me that this wouldn't.  I just wanted to go under right away cuz my was stomach hurting so bad.  Next thing I remember is a bag being pushed to my face and I'm getting sick all over myself.  I guess I slept through some of it.  I got an anti-nausea shot and that seemed to help.  I have to say that the whole experience was pure and utter hell.  I would never wish this on my worse enemies.  I know it is needed and would do it again to make sure I don't have cancer but it was horrible.  And it has a lot to do with my bad stomach.  I got a clean bill of health and they told me I don't need to go back for 10 years.  I figure it will take me 10 years to get over the trauma (extreme pain) I went through.  :)

ps.  I had an incredibly great nurse.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

oh great..I have to have one the end of March..I am not looking forward to it at all..now Im worried as I have the weakest stomach too..glad you survived..

Cap said...

I remember having to do that. Except I threw up the whole time. Ugh. No fun.