Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Grandad's cider press

On Labor day we got together as family and friends to make apple cider. It was really cold out (for the first day of September) so it was perfect for making cider. All the kids came, the Waters' and Grandma and Grandpa. Plus some friends of Nathan.
The guys had fun putting the apples in and smashing them up. We had about 4 boxes of apples to smash up.

Everyone took turns putting apples in and crushing them.

It was so fun seeing Darrell and Dyann (Grandma and Grandpa). I know Darrell and Steve Waters had a great time talking.

When we were finally done we got 5 gallons of cider. After all the hard work we sat around and enjoyed each others company......and ate. We had chili, donuts , sweet bread and, of course, cider.

The guys (and some of the girls) hung out at the xbox.

We are going to have to make this an annual event. It was tons of fun but not the same without Steve. We all miss him so, so much!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you are still using the cider press. Grandpa Awbrey would have a smile on his face. That is a wonderful tradition to have. Love and miss you guys.

Anonymous said...

Oh what fun, Im sure it felt like fall! I love fall, I love apples and I love you all!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I got to poke my head in! At least on skype! It looked like so much fun. You all look so good in the pictures I never realized how much I would miss all of you for such things until I've been here.

Thanks for doing things like this Sweetie. It makes me appreciate you even more. I love you a lot!!!

Love,

Steve

Chris and Lesa said...

That was a lot of fun! I can't wait to do it next year. Our gallon is half way gone, and will probably be finished soon. Next year we will have to do even more! I love you.
Chris

Anonymous said...

The Old Press
No electricity
But needing power
Of strong mens' arms
And a broken board.

The New Press
Used Electricity
And still used power
Of old mens' arms
And a plastic pusher.