Saturday, October 11, 2008

Home again home again jigitty jig--and back to cell block U-N

Well, I'm back in Vienna after a wonderful time in Utah. Forgive the long silence Jet lag and a few things have worn me out. But I'm back in the saddle (which mostly means I'm saddle sore). But I did get back home and had a wonderful visit. Absolutely wonderful.  Timothy picked me up at the Airport (wonderful son) and the next day Lori hosted a hot dog roast in our back yard for my Mom and dad and our kids. A good time was had by all (except I was pretty jet-lagged). The next day at church everyone wondered what I was doing back for a week because they all thought I was serving time in prison and no one really thought I was in Vienna and that that was a story Lori made up to cover it up. 

The week passed in a hour or so, Monday we had a Korean dinner with the Waters and took in a Greek tragedy with them called Medea. It was about a woman who kills her children to get back at her husband. We debated if the play would have been more believable if kids had been teenagers, but then decided that would not have been much of a revenge on her husband. It's good to debate the arts. 

Tuesday Lori and I went for long walks and shopped a lot. I could not have been happier spending my time in any way.

Wednesday we attended a marching band concert for parents. Thursday Nathan and I saw Batman and enjoyed a great movie. Friday, Emily and I went out for KFC and to a Shakespeare play for children called Pericles. It was a blast.

Where does the time go? It passed so quickly that it seemed over before it started. And, I enjoyed every minute of it. Sunday Christopher drove me back to the airport (wonderful son) and it was back to prison . . . er, I mean Vienna for me. It's hard to believe but I've almost been back a week. Weird things have happened though in the meantime. Just last night I was asked to be one of the permanent bloggers on By Common Consent one of the most widely read Mormon blogs on the internet. Wow. Then I was made the science editor for Dialogue: The Journal of Mormon Thought, then also yesterday an opinion piece came out in the Chronicle of Higher Education. So it was a busy day. How am I going to keep up with all this? Well, Yesterday at the 'UN' we ran our tin cups across the bars of our 'office' and demanded more time for writing. The warden, I mean the director, agreed to our demands. 




My thoughts exactly.

5 comments:

The Pecks said...

I love it!! You are so funny. I miss you so, so much and I'm counting the days till you get back!!! I love you!
Lori

grandma skettie said...

It's really true that time flies when you are having fun. Once when Bill was at school in Phoenix for 2 months, they sent him home for a weekend. Guess it's all relative. Keep up the good work and all of it will soon pass. Soon you will be back with your loving family. Meanwhile, keep writing the great blogs.

Anonymous said...

Hey great to see you back on the Vienna Blog. Enjoyed the writing and loved the picture. No eligible to read your article in Higher Education unless I subscribe. How hard would it be to send a copy. Like to read anything authored by my son. Hope your getting some rest and you better take every opportunity you can to take it easy. - Love you! - Dad

Maureen said...

So glad you made it home safe and sound and I use home loosely, we all know where your home is and Im sure you will be happy to get there soon, So cool that you will be famous soon for all your "super cool" blogging. You continue to amaze me with all your talents. Keep on doing what your doing and get home soon.

Heidi said...

Wow Steve nice shot of Cell Block 1A or wherever that is, I love the shot, very nice photography there. The goose fountain also fabulous. As always I love to read the Peck blogs... looking forward to an interesting Christmas letter!! Love y'all!Heidi