Thursday, October 2, 2008

Mom's addicting salsa

I just have to tell the story of my mom's salsa recipe. I have made several batches this year and have given them to my friends. I gave some salsa to one of my friends who wanted the recipe after her family devoured it. She has also made several batches and can't keep it long in her house. Her 14 year old daughter has to have some every day for breakfast....with chips of course. She told her mom that she has a hard time concentrating in class because all she can think about is getting home and having chips and salsa.
Another friend of mine likes to have the heads up on when I'm making salsa. She wanted to come over when I was making some so both of us can snack on it. Her meeting went late and couldn't get here. She said all she could think about on the way home was eating salsa. She called when she was almost home and I met her at her house with a tub of it.
Nathan's friends also ask when I'm making salsa so they can be here with their bags of chips. I only can about 2/3's of it and leave the rest out to eat. Next time I make it I may only can half because we have already opened a lot of quart bottles.
Mom, you've made one GREAT recipe and Pleasant Grove will never be the same.

MOM'S FAMOUS AND ADDICTING SALSA

12 Cups peeled, seeded tomatoes cut in pieces
3 Large onions, diced
1/2 Cup diced Jalapeno peppers or1/2 Jar Mrs Renfros Jalapeno peppers, diced
5 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Cups Chopped Green Peppers
1 - 4 oz can green chili's
1 - 12 oz can Tomato Paste
1 Tblsp salt
1/4 Cup sugar
3/4 Cup vinegar
2 Tblsp dried cilantro
1 Tblsp Mexican Mix (optional)
Pack in sterilized pint jars, and process according to canning directions for tomatoes. Makes 9 pints.

MEXICAN MIX 1/2 Tblsp Coriander
1 Tblsp Cumin
2 Tblsp dried Parsley
1 Tblsp dried Oregano
1 Tblsp Onion flakes
1 Bay leaf
1 Tblsp Whole red peppers
1/4 Teasp Garlic Powder
2 Tblsp dried Cilantro
1 Teasp Celery Seed
Mix in blender until well blended. Store in dry place.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being addicted after one quart bottle of Lori's salsa, I appreciate the recipie so I can make more. Wonderful stuff. Take my word for it. Love you - Dad Peck

Maureen said...

Okay why have I never been given this recipe???????????? Now all my tomatoes are gone! Sounds heavenly, next year for sure! Lori hope your doing okay, and Steve I hope you made it back to Vienna safe and sound..See you next week Lori!!

Kathy said...

Ok Lori, This was the wrong time to check out your blog.It's 11:45 at night and I'm contemplating running to the store to get the stuff to make your salsa. Thanks for sharing.
Kathy

grandma skettie said...

The salsa is also good mixed with refried beans and eaten with tortilla chips and fritos. I also use the salsa in my tamale pie, and of course really good on scrambled eggs. Humm, now I'm hungry. One year I ran out of fresh onions, so I used some of my dried onions from food storage. It helped soak up the excess juice from the tomatoes. But fresh onions are best if you are going to just sit down and eat the salsa fresh instead of canning it.