Friday, August 1, 2008

Back to 'good' art.



Yesterday my office mate, a visiting scholar from Great Britain, invited me to visit the back rooms of the Art History Museum. He had a student who was now working there and so was going to give us a tour. He is a chemist and his student worked there analyzing art using the latest chemistry techniques. However, this is the same museum where Lori pulled the knife on me and where she and the kids escaped on the Ubahn. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go back. But I agreed seeing as  how I would likely never get into the back rooms. of such a place so I jumped at the chance. 

We met at the side entrance, which I was cool in itself because I felt privileged and elite. The back rooms of the art history museum turned out to look like a biology laboratory. Here is my colleague and his student in front of the mass spectrometer.  He gave me run down on the cool things they were doing to track down what sorts of materials the artists of 500 years ago used (linseed oil, walnut oil, turpentine, pine oils). 




It's facinating how science is used in support of art. And it's very serious science: Check out the data!



So then it was into the regular museum. I did see some things I didn't noticed before.

This was entitled: Joseph Smith ponders the head of a small Bart Simpson:



Here we see an early Roman mess kit proving that Boy Scouts started much earlier than we thought:



Pit Bulls and rottweilers were also a problem in the early Roman period and often treed people's crocodiles:



As in every age, space aliens were a major art motif as this beaded Egyptian necklace attests (see how many of my arm's shadow you can count):



Blow this up and see if you can figure out what the big machine on the right hand side of the tower of Babel is. The one that looks like a gourd:



Even hundreds of years ago, the scientist was worth painting (And I often drum my fingers on a skull while reading):



And lastly I can't help but wonder if this poor woman was completely mortified at the angle at which she was immortalized. I imagine she was ever after somewhat embarrassed (one can't help but wonder if this expressive word (sound it out) was coined with this unfortunate woman's fate in mind).

5 comments:

Chris and Lesa said...

Easy, the big machine to the right of the Tower of Babel is a giant fan which was given to them by aliens that had gotten it from the future of our world, and then went back in time and gave it to the people building the tower. (It was obviously solar powered).

Building that think was hard, and so to cool off the people they could feel the cool breeze. It was also used as a punishment to those who oppose the cause of reaching heaven. They would turn it on high, and blow them off the tower. Little did they know that they were sending them there a lot quicker. (Or at least in the general area).

The Pecks said...

I love it Sweetie. I miss you so much!!
I love you,
Lori

Anonymous said...

Wow, you get to do fun things in your life..just the title of your blog "the pecks in vieena" makes me want to do something more adventurous..keep em coming! lOve you!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure but I'm leaning towards the 'Bad Art' at this point. Of course I liked the Tower of Bable and the guy thumpun on the skull, but I guess art is in the eye of the beholder - or so they say. Thanks for sharing the journey. Love it - Love you! - Dad

Anonymous said...

What are we supposed to sound out from the last picture? Mortified?

Mor - ti - fied
sounds like
Mor - ti - mur.

Mortimer!

Isn't that the husband of the woman on the old Bewitched programs that would peek out the window to check on the odd-goings-on at the Stephens' home?

Or was that guy's name Abner? Anyway, I think Mrs. Abner would have been mortified if this was her rear end.