Friday, November 19, 2010

Nathan's hand written letter

Dear Family,
Hey, so how are you all doing? Sounds like everyone is doing good and that dad had a good trip. So I got the birthday package. Ha ha, I haven't opened it yet so no worries. It is sitting all alone in my suit case waiting for Dec. 15. At the beginning of Dec. I'll know where I'll be for Christmas so if you want to wait till then you can, however if you are going to worry you can send it whenever to the office.
So things here are going good. We were able to find a brand spankin new investigator. He is an older guy who is really big on family so we have been focusing on that. But he is really good. So we'll see what happens.
On Sunday we were teaching one of our investigators and we were teaching about prophets,so we asked her,"Do you think it would be important to have a prophet today?" She was like, "Yeah, well I am a prophet. I have the gift of prophecy." The she told us this totally crazy story about how she knows this. It was weird and then we tried to explain Joseph Smith. So we showed her the picture of the first vision and she freaked out! It was like she saw Satan himself. It was pretty scary. She said the picture was from Satan because it showed that God had a body which she apparently thinks that Jod (mixed up God and Jumala, which is god in Finnish). Anyway, she thinks God is light and glory and that He doesn't have a body of flesh. So we read in Acts where Stephen where he sees Jesus on the right hand of God. But apparently Jesus was standing in Gods glory. So we're like, so God's glory was here and Jesus was here ( I couldn't put Nathan's drawing on this). So she then went on to say some
other weird things that didn't make sense. So then at the end Elder Karlsson bore his testimony really strong and afterwards she just said, "Se on sinum usko ruotsilainen poika, siruin americatoinen usko." Which means, "well that's your faith Swedish boy, your American faith." That's when we decided to leave. And now she's dropped. It was a pretty crazy teach though.
Welp hope you enjoyed the story. That's about everything here. So have a good week. I love and miss you all.
Rakkaudella,
Vanhin Nathan Peck

1 comment:

Cap said...

I thought it was interesting because I just wrote a blog on "Religious Experience," which basically, I argue that because others can have experiences that they think are real, once a person says, "I saw God," or "I am a prophet" and they really believe it there is no way to ever change them because of some experience they had. It's interesting. Also, I didn't know this until recently, but the belief that God doesn't have a body is very wide spread. It is because most Christian's, (not really Mormons), believe in the three omni's. (Omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent). So if God has a body he cannot be omnipotent (that is one belief) because bodies have limits. I think it is hard for people to join Mormonism because you literally have to believe in a God that is not omnipotent. Even most Mormons deny that view. But it is true. We know that we will progress into Godhood just like our God did which means we're always progressing which means if God is progressing he is finite which means he isn't omnipotent. It's interesting, I think.