Monday, May 21, 2012

The Eclipse

Spontaneity sometimes pays off. Saturday Emily and I decided to blast down to see the total annular eclipse. I was somewhat ready for the eclipse in general. Monday, I had to my horror, discovered that all the eclipse glasses at Amazon were sold out and it took some crazy searching to find some. But I ordered five pair, so we were actually bettered prepared for this bit of spontinatiy than might be expected. To see the moon pass entirely in front of the sun we had to get below this line:
   It was a spontaneous decision but I called Steve Waters and he was on board, but it was his birthday so his family had to release him from the days plans, but all was done. Adventure called. We decided to target Beaver, Utah--far enough down that we would be about half way between the limit of visibility and the center line. I left two pairs of glasses for the boys and Lori. Emily's friend Izzy joined us and we took off for adventure.

It was so worth it! We thought there was a KFC in Beaver, but a DQ replaced it and after a feast of fast food we found a spot on a hill overlooking a pleasant valley.



We had all the right equipment.


Watching the progression of the moon over the sun was amazing. The excitement was palpable!





T
hen it happened! Full eclipse! I can't describe the mood of our little group. We began to cheer.



Through the glasses the dark moon in front of the sun was so cool. It was exactly in the center from what I could tell and the 'ring of fire was centered over the moon. I know it could not have been because we were still 50 miles from the center line in the above diagram, but I could not see it as anything but in the center.

It was strange because the landscape was dim and dusk like. But what was so amazing was how happy we were to be there doing this. We cheered! And suddenly Emily gave me a big hug and said, I'm so glad we did this. That was the best part and made me glad to be a dad to share this moment with my daughter. It's a day we will never forget. 




No comments: