Friday, May 22, 2009

Bloggernacle Conference


For the last three day's I've been in Nauvoo, IL. What was I doing there? I was at a ByCommonConsent conference! All the permabloggers gather once a year to talk about the blog. As the most widely read Mormon Blog it's founder believes in maintaining a sense of community among the contributers. This was my first time meeting most of them! They are a diverse bunch, but they are a fun bunch.

Because one of the permas has connections with the Community of Christ (this used to be named the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) we were able to stay at the Nauvoo house. This was where Emma Smith lived out her last days and died. Its a a beautiful old building on the banks of the Mississippi River.





There is a bit of competition between the LDS Church (they call us Brighamites) and the Community of Christ (Josephites). These two signs are across the street from each other.




Its right next to the graves of Jospeh, Emma, and Hyrum.



And across the street from the Mansion House which Joseph and Emma ran as innkeepers.



The first night we ate at the Nauvoo Inn Buffet.

The next day we had a tour by a historian from a historian in the CofC. He had insights into Joseph Smith that I've never heard. Like how much he liked having people over to dinner.

That afternoon it was off to Carthage Jail. The bullet hole was made by the mob that killed Joseph Smith.





Here I preach to the faithful at the Seventies Hall Chapel.




That afternoon those who wanted did Sealings at the Nauvoo temple. The people I'm with have some power so after we got to tour the baptistry and see the temple president's office and see a sword used by Joseph Smith when he was General of the Nauvoo Legion. Here is a picture from Wikipedia (I forgot my camera when we went inside).



That night we had our Blogposium at the CofC auditorium. I spoke on evolution. Others spoke on historical topics. It was wonderful. Then we retired to the upper room of the Red Brick Store where Jospeh Smith first received the endowment and organized the Relief Society. We had more presentations. It was a blast.

Then back to the Nauvoo house where we had a sing along with Saturday's Warrior to 2:00 AM

It was one of best times I've ever had. Nothing like hanging out with your internet buddies in real life.






3 comments:

Maureen said...

How cool, What a great place to hold a conference and getting to meet people you only know through blogging would be even cooler..but you said you had the best time ever, but you meant to say "other then being at my sisters house" I know what you meant!!

The Pecks said...

Oh, Maureen, that goes without saying!

grandma skettie said...

Really neat place. I remember when the Beus family went there. Melanie said there was no way she could go into the jail room where Joseph Smith was killed. I'm so glad you got to go.