Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Snow

Sometimes people are surprised when I tell them that it snows in Hawaii. It does on the Big Island on Mauna Loa in the winter. No skiing.....the altitude is so high up that you can barely breathe. These pictures were taken in February 1999 when we lived in Hilo. We hiked up a part of Mauna Loa. Emily was carried most of the way. She was only 1- 1/2 years old.
It was a hard hike cuz we were so high up and the air was getting thinner.

Timothy and Christopher were the first ones up.
I love this pic. of Emily screaming. You'll have to ask the kids what happened to the soda bottles and the bags of chips :)
Oh....and we have snow on Timp!!!!

3 comments:

Lesa said...

we noticed snow on timp too! and I am soo excited! :)

Cap said...

They expanded!!! That's what happened. (Because of the pressure). It's funny. I kinda remember the hike, but I really remember picking up my bag of chips off the floor of the car and being like, "Whoa!! Look, it expanded!!" We were all amazed!!

smwaters said...

That picture of Em in the backpack is the best