Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Fall of Man

Sunday I slipped in the bathroom. I lost my footing and came down hard. In the few seconds after, I had an opportunity to contemplate my mortality. While lying on the ground my first thought was I wonder how bad I'm hurt? I next realized that there was no one that knew how to call an ambulance. I knew I had hit my head hard. And that there were odd signals coming in that spoke of injury, but I just didn't know if I were hurt or not. After a few seconds Lori came in (alerted by the sound that a killer whale makes when hitting a sidewalk after being tossed from a six story building (which I'm sure most of you have heard before)). She asked if I were all right. I said I didn't know. Finally I started to try to get up. I found that nothing was too bad. My head took a smack on the side. My wrist was tender, my knees were sore. But I realized that I was more scared than hurt (although now after three days the side of my head is tender to the touch). Luckily, I need a hair cut really bad and my long beautiful locks cushioned the blow. But it has me thinking about how quickly life can change. And how odd it is that I'm old enough to have a "I've fallen and I can't get up" moment.

Ah well.

This will be short. I've been helping Emily with her math most of the evening. We have to do it together. Here was one of her problems:

Ein Satellit braucht für 7 Erdumkreisungen 10 h 11 min, Wie lange braucht er für eine Erdumkreisung?

Yes you read that right, she is figuring out orbital times for satellites. It took us about an hour and a half to do four problems. However, when we return to Utah and are camped in the La Sals and we see a satellite pass overhead, just ask Emily to figure out for you when it will be back. Just to make it hard ask her in German.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve. - So sorry to hear of your fall. As you well know, your Mom is famous for falling, and it's no fun. I really feel for you - please be careful. Love you all. - Mom Peck

Anonymous said...

Scary for sure. Just hope you are doing okay now. Especially a fall on the head, the wrist will more easily heal to speak the obvious. Better hang on to that long hair.

Neat Emily has a genius father to help her with those horrible math scenerios. - Love you folks. - Dad/grandpa

Anonymous said...

Okay is this a cry for some attention Steve? Falling? No way, don't believe it! The lenghts you will go for a blog entry..Of course you know Im kidding and hoping you are really okay. Me and Aleixe where just saying I think it is a family trait, Falling. Crytal falls on a daily basis and Alexie was telling me how many times she triped while she was in Europe, with so much walking. So I hate to say, its just a family thing. Be careful..I just knocked on wood, because I said I don't fall very often..just Read moms comments, now I am convinced its a family thing..HELP!

Anonymous said...

The only time I have ever fallen in a bathroom was in Germany in Greg and Heidi's bathtub. Landed right on my nose. Scared Heidi something awful. Me too. At home the only falls I take is in the garden tripping over something and then doing a face plant. Not nearly as bad. Do take care. You are important to a whole lot of people.

Anonymous said...

Steve:
You're too tough to be hurt for long! It would have killed a lesser man! I'm just back from a grand adventure to Ft. Lewis and Moab. Back checking your blog. I checked out your scientific blog--Wow! Take care and I hope you're feeling better.
Love, Russ

Anonymous said...

So glad to read your new blog and assume you are okay. I e-mailed you while we were in Hyrum, but my remote comcast did not include your address, so couldn't send it. We've been worried to say the least.

Your blog is a wonder to behold. How in the world did you get so many hits on it so quickly. Absolutly amazing. I've been gone all day, but will spend hours tomorrow checking it out after my quick perusal tonight.

Don't be discouraged by the lack of comments. Seems everyone I talk to are reading it, but somehow not leaving comments. Sure it must feel like you and the family are being neglected. Your not, you just can't see it.

Please take good care of yourself and so hope all is going well with you and the family. We so love and miss you all. - Dad