Monday, April 7, 2008

Tough Times.......by Lori


Not to be negative but I have to say this is one of the most difficult experiences I have ever had. Sure, on the train we look all happy but the day to day life here can be very grueling. For being a city of tourism, there aren't very many English speaking people here. I can say I have met maybe five. So I don't say much during the day unless it's to Steve, Nathan or Emily. Communication is so important and when that is taken away it is very hard. On my daily shopping trips I don't ever run into anyone who speaks English. I usually go to 1-4 stores a day. To get everything you need for a meal you have to go to at least 2 or more grocery stores because not all of them carry everything. Sometimes there is pointing at what you want with some signing and then you give them the money. I go and do this 6 days a week since I can only buy what I can carry. I worry a lot about Emily at school. I worry the whole time she is there if she is safe, understanding what they are saying or I worry if she's sad. It's a great relief to me when she comes home in the afternoon. I'm not too worried about Nathan. He is keeping up with his friends back home and he talks to his brothers quite a bit. So it's not all a bed of roses here. The travelling and seeing new things is fun but the week days can be killers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tough would be a word Id use too! Im sure life can get lonely there, and scary and sad, all those emotions that you have normally but to be in a different country I can imagine them being ten fold, anyway you hang in there, and always remember we love and miss you all and keep you always in our prayers. (3 more months till Ft. Bragg)

Anonymous said...

Wild Geese
By Mary Oliver

You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting--
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.

Anonymous said...

So nice to talk with your good folks the other day and understand it's hard to feel great when you have headaches and alergies to contend with.

To repeat my favorite cleche - "An experience does not have to be good to be an experience."

The memories of your bad times will fade quickly when you return, but the good one's will stay with you for a lifetime. - Love - Dad Peck

Anonymous said...

Most people who spend time in a foreign country do it with a group of other people ie military, or company group. You are basically on your own, and that is always a whole lot harder. You always amaze me with your strength and fortitude. Just think how wonderful Walmart is going to seem. Know that a lot of people love you and that they would take the load off your shoulders if they were physically able to do so. Love, Mom

Heather Tolen said...

Just know, friends, that we miss you all the time, and we're excited for your return. Izzy talks about Emily being home every day. I'm sorry it's getting so hard! Hang in there!
Love, Heather