Sunday, February 21, 2010

Don't freak out!

It seems like whenever Steve goes on a business trip (especially out of the country) I get more sensitive to EVERYTHING around me. I worry a lot about Steve but I double worry here with each kid and whoever else needs me to worry about them.
Past experiences plays a huge hand in how I (we) handle things. I'm a worrier by nature but a major car accident and Steve almost dying from a deadly disease doesn't help things. Like for instance......this next weekend Jaron wants to take the car down to Cedar City to see Stephanie. The first thing that goes through my head is car accident. Jaron is a good driver but I think of doom and gloom first. Plus with Steve not here, I get the opportunity to worry more about it. I will probably let him go if the weather is good.......but I will worry..... and try to put on a brave face.
They say the opposite of worrying is faith. I don't believe that to be true. I think it's genetic cuz most of my kids are worriers too and I come from a line of worriers. It's hard to change genetics. I didn't teach my kids to be worriers.......in fact I try to hide it from them and tell them not to worry that everything will be fine.
I can't say that I won't be worried this week or when Steve goes to Africa in a few weeks or when Nathan leaves for his mission or when Jaron drives to Ceder City or whatever else may arise. I will just try to handle it like any other normal human being....Ha ha!! Steve did arrive at Bali safe and totally exhausted. He only got 2 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours so he's wasted. It's night there for him so hopefully he'll get lots of sleep and the world will look like a happier place for him in the morning :) He did say that it is very warm and VERY, VERY humid there.

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Unfortunately worry runs in our family too..Emma Smith said something that I love and try to think about when I start to worry..she said "Don't let fear shout so loud it blocks our faith" when I start to worry I really do think about, having faith that no matter what, My faith of what I know will pull me through..I know with all you've been through its so hard because all the fear is really shouting out of past experiences, but look how awesome your family is and how much wiser you are..nobody seeks for those experiences that make us wiser but they do and I think your awesome so there you go..ok Im rambling..bottom line, hang in there and know lots of people include you in their prayers, me for sure..love you..

The Pecks said...

Maureen....you are a sweetie. I know deep down everything will be fine and ok. I guess I just have some hang-ups from past experiences. But I think everyone does just with differant things. Thanks for your comment.....I love your rambling!!!!...and you!!!

Kathy said...

Unfortunately one's faith will pull them through, but it doesn't mean that bad things won't happen. Been there, done that. Lori, your Grandma Ketchum was a very big worrier. I've found that when I worry, nothing bad usually happens. Bad things happen when I least expect it. Soooo - go ahead and worry, maybe it will keep the bad away.