Friday, January 4, 2008

Cold and a B+

The temperature dropped and the wind picked up. I would have thought that the atmosphere would have turned liquid at these temperatures. It's too cold to wander much and for those not going to work (like me) I fear cabin fever may be setting in. Lori did wander the shops near our home and found some fun things. We live about a block from some of the best shopping in Vienna. We live about two blocks from the museums. We haven't seen any of those yet. I did find an antiquarian book shop but its been closed.

I think this may be colder than Mars.

Today a colleague took me to where I might jog. We walked on the ice to the Danube where the wind was blowing about 20 mph. Wow. Cold, but beautiful. I don't know how I'm ever going to run again.

I found out today I got a B+ in my BYU German 101 class. You may sneer that I did not get an A, but I was so happy to pull that off. It was a hard class! (Just ask me about the acquisitive and dative cases in grammar! Now I know!) However, no one I meet seems impressed. They start speaking English almost as soon as I say anything--well if they do speak English. If they don't they just look at me quizzically, perhaps wondering if those are human sounds coming out of my mouth or just some sort of animal-like utterance. I've decided I'm going to carry my Semester transcript with me to prove I speak a little German. Otherwise I don't think they will believe me. Nothing I'm saying would provide any evidence.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad, don't feel bad, we don't really know what you say in english. And that is your native language. ha ha... Jk. You can speak it better then I can, so thats good. And I barley ever got B+'s and Tim didn't get them either, That is like... Perfection to us. So in our eyes you are a perfect german speaker. Lesa got strait A's so you are near perfect to her. :) Good job dad, we are proud of you, and just like joking with you. We love you very much!!
Oh, and Lesa says sorry she didnt write, but she is a bad letter writer. :) We love you, and good job dad.

smwaters said...

That is B as in boy and not D as in dog, right? Wow, after the angst shared over bowls of kimchee chigea and plates tehjee pool-ko-gee, I was concerned for your adult GPA. But no more. You carry that transcript around and show it to everyone who doesn't understand you when your speak your B+ German. Even a child can understand B+ German.

As for the weather, be a man and get out there and run. As for me and my house, we'll stay inside and watch movies on the widescreen tv. Any more recommendations? No, I haven't bought Heroes yet.

Anonymous said...

"Your intelligence is always with you, overseeing your body, even though you may not be aware of its work." Rumi