Sunday, January 13, 2008

Different and the VERY different.......another perspective by Lori

I want to let everyone know some of the difference here and some things that are non-existent. Like one thing is my all favorite diet coke. It's not diet coke here but coke lite. It tastes more like diet Pepsi. But the weird thing is, is that there is no ice. They don't put ice in their sodas. I did special order ice with my coke lite at McDonald's. I got a little bit of a weird look but they gave it to me. I think that's the only time I got ice here. So if you come here and want ice in your soda, either bring it or go without. Speaking of sodas......I have yet to find Mountain Dew (Nathan is suffering bad), Root beer of any kind (Emily is suffering bad) or Dr. Pepper (Steve Waters would suffer bad). And I've been to quite a few places. The only kind of candy bars I can find so far are Snickers, Kit Kat, Twix, and Mars. The rest I cant pronounce and have no idea what it is. I have done some venturing. Some were hits but most have been misses. But I still have hope. I still haven't found brownie mixes, muffin mixes, or cake mixes. I did find a soft pretzel with salt on it. I took a bite and it was a rye bread pretzel. That was a miss. But on the other hand I both another one somewhere else and it ended up being a sweet roll with little chunks of sugar on it. That was a great hit!!! All the eggs here are brown and the yokes are really big. It looks different at first but they taste great. When you get a cart at the grocery store you have to put a euro in the handle part and it unlocks it from the other carts. When you return it there's a key to get your euro back. I walk to the store everyday (except Sunday) to get food. I bring my own plastic bags so I don't have to pay for them every time. It's only a couple of blocks but you can't buy too much because you have to carry it all home yourself. There are lots of differences here and we are all learning to adapt. And it is fun. But even Emily is trying new things and we are all having a great time with our new
experience.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, No ice with your diet coke, with the no returns and now the no ice in your coke lite, the excitement about coming is fading!! Just kidding of course I will suffer through both of them..Were working on October for a visit. We are selling like crazy on ebay!! Steve I made a plan, aren't you proud of me? Love you guys!! Your having soooo much fun!!

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love a challenge? You sure have plenty of the differnt culture to deal with, but isn't it an adventure of discovery? Soon all that will be normal, or at least semi-normal. Anyway you all seem to be handling it well and we're envious, but happy for you.

Anonymous said...

And that will be the reason that I won't make it to Europe.