Thursday, January 17, 2008

What I do




You may wonder what I'm doing at the UN's International Atomic Energy Agency. As you will recall this a high security organization involved in regulating the use of nuclear materials all over the world. The truth is I can't tell you what I do. In fact, it is so secret that I can't even know. I first tried to to get myself to tell me what I was doing, but I dug in my heels and refused to say. I tried everything, bribes, threats, but I would not budge. Finally, I did something terrible. I tried to torture it out of me. This fills me with shame when I think how I engaged in such horrible actions. However it also fills me with pride when I think how I did not give into it and there was nothing I could do to make me talk.

Actually, I haven't been doing anything but reading about tsetse flies and working on a philosophy paper. My computer hasn't come. Neither the one at work (which they are special ordering for me) or the one coming from BYU. You see, the company that moved us made a slight mistake. They said we had X number of pounds that would be shipped air and Y number that would be shipped by tug boat. Well it turns out that the moving company got every thing right except the and was really an or so everything was shipped by tug boat. Meaning all the things we thought were going to come two weeks after we arrived are really coming in late February. Really. Late February. Back home before we left, Lori made two piles of things, the first with essentials and the second with stuff we might want to have later. She was very selective and thought very hard about what should go by air and what by boat. We debated about several items. We pulled things from one pile and then moved it back. Weighty decisions these. Then the moving company came, packed the piles carefully. Then somewhere after our goods left us, someone, somewhere noticed the and was an or and shipped it all by tug boat (or maybe it was by canoe I'm not sure). So all my books, notes, etc, are floating contentedly over the Atlantic (unless of course they took the scenic tour over the Pacific).

So eventually I will build cool computer models of tsetse fly population dynamics. But for now I'm being the department receptionist--making copies, taking dictation, doing my nails, and staring out the window wondering how our things are doing on their ocean cruise.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so brave and even after enduring the toucher you didn't break. However, I read no mention of water-boarding. Did you try that?

I think the movers sent both shipments by tug boat on purpose. If you catch them - water-board.

Anonymous said...

You crack me up!! You are beginning to look a little like Homer Simpson..When I got on the blog, Josh was watching the Simpson Movie, so it was a little weird to see Homer looking back at me!!

Russell said...

Steve:
If anything, I've enjoyed telling everyone that my brother is in Vienna studying the tetse fly in Africa!

Anonymous said...

I am very proud and disapointed in you father. But given the circumstances, I probably would have told myself what I did, and then killed myself because I got the information I needed.

Klint said...

Hey Vienna Peck's Just wanted you to know we are enjoying reading your Blog and we are real jealous of your adventure. Keep up the great stories, we love them.