Friday, January 25, 2008

Question..........Which is best? by Lori

I thought I would write about our normal everyday life here. It has some of the same things as back home but it's also very different. It usually starts at 6:15am when Steve and I get up and get ready. Emily is up by 6:30am and gets ready for school. We bundle up and are out the door by 7:30am for a 5 minute walk to the u-baun (subway). After the 3rd stop we get off and walk to her school. Her school is grade 5th-12th. It is at least 4 stories tall. Emily loves it there. She is making new friends and learning more about the culture. She is very well accepted there and she helps them with their English as she learns German. I get back to our apartment and get Nathan up for his school. He works on his Internet schooling 5 hours a day. I think he gets bored with it sometimes but he's doing good.

He loves the ward we're in. There are 2 Priest to 5+ young women his age. So there are ALWAYS young women around him. Then I go shopping for food. You know why there aren't very many overweight people in Austria? Because they walk everywhere. I walk 2-3 blocks to the grocery store, buy what I can carry and head back. This is a sign I walk under every day when I walk to the store. Funny huh?

The cashiers are getting to know me well. They are all very nice. They know a tiny bit of English and I know a tiny bit of German so we can figure out what we are each saying. I usually go to two different grocery stores a day. Nathan leaves at 1:20pm to pick Emily up from school. I think this is the safest city I have ever been in. I feel very comfortable letting Emily and Nathan ride the u-baun alone. There isn't the sense of fear here. You see kids all the time alone riding the bus, trolley or u-baun alone and there's no problem. I'm out alone a lot and I feel safe. For the most part the people here are very nice and friendly. Every once in a while there's one who's not but that's normal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lori,
What a fun day..I can hardly wait to come visit. Nathan you poor thing, having to sit there for 5 hours, and do homework. Yuck..but at least you have all those girls to keep you company at church. Sounds like fun!! PS Love the sign!!