Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Opposite....sorta. by Lori

It's true, with the shipment we got a lot of stuff that we thought we needed and wondered why we even packed it to bring over here. BUT, when I opened the box full of brownie mixes and chocolate chips, I wondered how in the world did I survived for 2 months without them. No wonder I was feeling a little low some day and didn't have quite the energy I'm use too. I needed more chocolate than what I was getting. M&M's did help a lot but there is nothing better than fresh brownie dough right out of the bowl to bring such exceedingly great joy to ones heart! Except for maybe Sees dark chocolate mints. But I can't get them here. They don't sell them. So far I haven't found any chocolate better than Sees. There are lots of good chocolate but there is nothing like Sees dark chocolate and fresh brownie dough. I made brownies today. Emily, Nathan and I practically ate the whole pan up (what was left of the dough). I am so glad we packed a ton of them. The other boxes I opened that I'm so glad we brought was all my Bath and Body Works stuff. For one, it's in english and I can read it and know exactly what I'm using. I have bought so much stuff that I thought was shampoo and conditioner. Some of it was but not what we're use too. I'd just try to guess what the german words are and hope I got the right stuff. I didn't have the best of luck guessing right. Now, instead of the 3 lotions that I brought in my suitcase, I have at least 7. I feel spoiled and I have more to choose from. Nathan is also happy that his bed came. Before he was sleeping on a lawn chair type thing and now he has a queen size bed. Emily is happy her toys came. She hasn't surfaced much except to eat. She has been busy playing and having fun. But for the rest of the stuff.......I think we could have left most of it at home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought Europe was the king of all things chocolate. To use an analogy, I think your taste buds have been so warped with your low-brow American hamburger that you don't appreciate what a fine steak is. Don't pine for hamburger when you are in one of the finest restaraunts in the world.

Having said that, I enjoy the brownies that Jill makes from the store-bought mix -- especially the crispy crusts.

Anonymous said...

Now you know what to take back to Vienna with you this summer when you come home for a visit. Brownie mixes and sees mints. A lot of things from different countries including ours are very overated by people who are "in the know". Enjoy what you enjoy. It's always good to get back to the basics, even hamburger. Good luck on choosing what to wear Steve. And hey, Nate, a bed, what luxury. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Lori, knowing you and your love for chocolate, I am shocked you survived so many weeks with out your favorites. Sorry to hear there are no SEES candy stores, that is a true sacrifice. When we come to visit I will bring lots. But like smwaters said, I think you have yet to discover the true European chocolate, as I hear they have the best around, but maybe that is just their pastries..We had a whole Enrichment last night on Chocolate, I never knew how many different chocolates there are..But Im with you See's is hands down the best!! Glad you got the boxes and Nathan has a bed, Poor guy!! Keep the brownies warm, we'll be there in Oct. (I hope)

Anonymous said...

I had always heard that pastries and chocolate there were the best. When we were there I expected too much I guess and was disapointed. Its hard to beat a warm maple bar right out of the cooker. Mercans (in Massachusetts I think) chocolate can go toe to toe with any European chocolate, I know its best for dipping.
Dad A