Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Rood & Thorn











Wondrous was that tree of victory, and I stained with sins

wounded sorely with defects, I saw the tree of glory,

honoured with garments, shining joyously,

adorned with gold. Gems had

splendidly covered the Lord’s tree.

I was able, however, to perceive through the gold,

the ancient hostility of wretched ones, [that] it first began

to bleed on the right side. I was all troubled with grief,

I was afraid in the presence of that beautiful sight.


From the Dream of the Rood, 8th Century Saxon Poem


Today we saw wood from the one true cross. Validated and venerated, it is one of the four pieces thought to be genuine, with proofs many and strong from antiquity. We also saw a thorn from the Saviour's crown of thorns. We saw his face emblazoned on a cloth--the image of Christ formed when a woman name Veronica wiped his face with a cloth as he carried the cross up the hill to Golgotha. We also saw the head of the spear that was thrust into the side of Jesus and one of nails that had come from the cross. If it were not true of course they could not have put it in a museum. So we are feeling pretty lucky.

All this was part of the Schatzkammer. The treasures of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Of course it's taking quite a chunk of the treasures of the Pecks to see this stuff, but then, how else do you get to see a piece of the rood? Every time we go to one of these museums we are putting about $30 into their coffers, but I've never yet regretted paying the admission price. How else do you learn things like this:




Do you see those black things marking the white boarder? Those are the black-tipped tails of the ermine pelts that make up the white boarder of the mantle. Weasel tails! Who would have guessed. I've seen those things in many pictures but would not have guessed what they were without seeing them up close? You just don't learn this stuff on TV.

There were swords from the middle ages, which were Nathan's favorite. Emily liked the baby clothes from the 18th century. Lori liked the crowns. The crowns were unbelievable--one had sapphires and rubies the size of walnuts. One of the main treasures on display was a emerald that weighed over half a kilo (1 kilo = 2.2 lbs). It was claimed to be the largest in the world. One the Medici in Italy had offered the Emperor three tons of gold for the stone. The Emperor told him to to keep his gold. There were also on display unicorn horns. Real ones. Well if you believe like I do that narwhals are unicorns. One of the swords hilts was made from a unicorn horn I was thinking that must give you a sense of confidence going into battle; and I would hate to face someone wielding a weapon hilted with a unicorn's horn. There is something simply intimating about that.

My favor ate were the relics of the satins. Holy bones of the various matters. I felt particularly healthy after visiting the relics of St. Stephens. I don't know why.





The Holy Lance (which also contains another of the nails from the cross)

The Schatzkammer. Worth every penny.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How come you know such cool words? I wish I hadn't had to look up "rood" to know what it meant. The parochialness of my Provo education is beginning to show. Talk about chinks in the armor. Who granted my PhD? Who speaks words with my mouth?

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how much Jeron would haveloved to be there with all those swords. Amazing stuff. What an education you are all getting. We went to a similar kind of museaum with Klinton and Zachery in Germany. Truly mind blowing!

Wish I knew how to write a Haiku