Monday, August 31, 2009

If I were Eve.....

Ok, If I were Eve and I was asked to take a bite of an apple I would have said, " Are you crazy? I just canned 34 pints of these things!!! Plus more in the food drier! I never want to see another apple as long as I live!!!" And that would be a long, long time!! If I was to be temped by anything......maybe a chocolate covered strawberry.
I THOUGHT it would be fun to can a bunch of apples for future pies, apple crisps, etc. Nathan picked 4 bags for me and I got started. By looking at the apple trees though you can't even tell that Nathan picked a single apple. So I get started and find out I don't have enough lids. So off to Walmart. While processing my 4th batch Emily comes home and wants a pizza. So she sticks one in the microwave and sets the timer. I was using the timer for the water bath as well. The timer goes off and she pulls out her pizza and I pull out the jars. I'm thinking....wow that went by fast. Then realized what happened. They were only in there for about 10 mins. Some of them did seal but the rest I had to reprocess.
Will we really go through 34 pints of apples?......I don't know. But I can tell you that I will NOT be canning anymore apples this year. I didn't even get through all the apples Nathan picked for me. Maybe next year when I have forgotten all about this.
BTW....if anyone needs any apples...I have tons....still on the tree :)

1 comment:

Maureen said...

I am on my way,I don't want the apples on the tree, I want the ones you slaved over and made yummy..see you in about 10 hours..oh how I wish..