Sunday, January 23, 2011

Free Range

Yesterday Steve and I went out to lunch. While we were eating we started talking about the food industry....mainly the meat part of it. I have heard and read so many things about how hormones, antibiotics,etc. are added to the food they feed the animals and what it can do to our bodies. And how the industry treats these animals. It's really easy to just ignore it and not think about it. I have been for years but lately it's really been on my mind. There's not a whole lot I can do to change the industry but I can change my decision on what I buy and what I eat. I wish we had enough land that I could put a cow and some chickens on it but that's not going to work. So we are going to start small.......first we decided to buy free range chickens and eggs. After lunch we went to the store to look and see how much more it would cost than the "chickens stuck in a tight cage" meat. The store we went to it was $9/lb. for chicken breasts. Holy crap that's expensive!!! We went to a few other stores and landed at Walmart to get other stuff we needed. And guess what? They have free range chicken for not too bad of a price. So we got some. Also you can buy free range eggs at the health food store. They were about a dollar more a dozen but I'll spend the extra dollar for free range. Steve cooked some up last night and said they taste so much better than regular eggs. Beef is next on our list.......and growing a better garden.

2 comments:

JJP said...

I can't wait to try some of your new food! :)

smwaters said...

Last week we had a roast that was from grass-fed beef. I can hardly tell you how much better that meat was than the stuff I just run down to the store and buy.