Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Insurance

It seems like the older I get, the more I learn and the more opinionated I am. I'm not sure that's a bad thing if I keep an open mind. For example......yesterday I took Emily to the doctors. She's been running 101 fever on Advil for the last 3 days. Sure enough, she has a sinus and throat infection. The doctor gives her a prescription for Amoxicillin. We go get it filled and the pharmacist tells me that the insurance company is denying Emily the meds. It had something to do with her weight. Emily weighs 105 pounds now. The Pharmacist was talking to the insurance person and telling him/her that Emily was standing right in front of him and that she couldn't be more than a 110 lbs. For some reason they wouldn't believe him and denied the prescription. I've never seen my Pharmacist get mad but he sure was yesterday. I've known him for many years (all during Steve's major illness and was getting meds. for him a few times a week). We got the prescription filled and the pharmacist charged us the insurance price and said he and the doctor will work with the insurance co. to get this worked out.
My cousin told me that the insurance co. consider kids adults once they hit 100 lbs. and it's so they don't get over medicated. That's all good but it seems like there could be an easier way to avoid this than to deny medication to someone who is sick and needs the meds. They said it will take 3 or 4 days (minimum) to get this worked out so that means that Emily would have had to wait an extra 3 or 4 days and get sicker till they said it's ok to give to her. That's just not right. So I'm glad the doctor and pharmacist are working it out for me and Emily is on the meds.

No comments: