Friday, September 16, 2011

SHOCK

Yesterday afternoon Christopher (and family) came over to help us get the slats out of the last super. We geared up from head to toe, got the smoker going and the cooler ready to put the slats in. Steve and Christopher took the top super off and we proceeded to take the slats out. They were very full of honey, combs and bees. The bees started to go more and more crazy.....and attacking us but our suits were protecting us at first. They started getting into Steve's head cover. We were almost done. Christopher and I finished the last slat and Steve went out into the lawn to get the bees off of him. He kept getting stung in the head and neck. We all went into the garage and I could tell Steve was really struggling. I took my stuff off and got stung in the neck and hand. I started to freak out a little. They were in my hair and I didn't want to get anymore stings. Christopher was brushing them off of all of us. We got them off and went into the house and Steve collapsed. He was sweating so hard it was dripping off his forehead. He didn't look good. I got my epi-pen out and was getting ready to inject it. Steve kept telling me not too.......but I ignored him. :) He passed out again and I gave him the shot. I also gave him 2 benadryl. I decided that we better get him to ER so Christopher and I tried to get him up again and he passed out. When I saw his eyes roll to the back of his head I immediately called for an ambulance. It seemed like they took forever to get here but I know it really wasn't that long. Steve was a little more conscience. I think it may be from the epi-pen. The ambulance got here, got a IV going and other stuff I can't remember and loaded him on. At the hospital they gave him more epi, benadryl and steroids. His skin was beet red. You could tell he felt like crap! The doctor said Steve went into anaphylactic shock. After about an hour his skin started to get back to normal and he was looking better. After 4 hours he was released. The doctor said I saved his life with the epi-pen.......he wouldn't have made it to the hospital. Steve got around 20 bee stings to the head and neck.
Today I'm very angry at the bees. I suited up this morning with my can of wasp killer and went to town on the hive. I'm sad we had to do that but it's not worth a human life. The sting on my neck is very sore and itchy.....but it will be fine in a couple of days. I'm so grateful for every one's help yesterday. We have great family and friends!!!

3 comments:

-Danica- said...

Oh my gosh!! Good thing you had that epi-pen! Hope you guys start feeling better soon.

Cap said...

That sure was scary, but I'm glad everyone is alright. Lesa and I had a hard time sleeping last night, too because of all the stress and anxiety. I'm glad it's over, though and everyone is OK.

Maureen said...

Hope you killed one for me..dirty rotten bee's..glad your all okay..P.S. glad you took all their honey too..