Sunday, March 30, 2008

An Answer to Steve's Questions


As many of you know I have steadfastly and utterly refused to answer questions poised on the blog. My reasons for this refusal have been stated as not wanting to get overwhelmed by questioners. My real reasons are of course uncompromising laziness. But I have decided to make an exception to this. Steve Water's question "Billboards?" deserves an answer. It is one of those questions that I think is so universal and far reaching that to resist would be unconscionable.


First, billboards are a ubiquitous feature of life here and come in various sizes from the humongous:




to the small as in these Ubahn escalator pictures:



Some of these are quite effective as selling things:


Some boarder on art:



Some seem rather ordinary and typical of such advertising:





And some boarder on the absurd:



So there you have it. I know I should not have opened the door to answering questions, but the question "Billboards?" was too compelling, too thought provoking, and too mesmerizing to leave alone. Hopefully, you will forgive the breech on my long standing rule and intractable refusal to answer questions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought Steve would actually answer any of my questions. I assumed he would have given them to Nathan as a school project. Having said that, let me say that the billboard answer was terrific.

However, I'm at a bit of a loss. I was under the impression from an earlier blog that all billboards in Europe are solidly R-rated if not NC-17. It would appear that either Steve has gotten very good with Adobe Photoshop or the previous blog stretched the truth a bit.

Anonymous said...

Well seems like two of SMWaters questions are answered. Very nice presentation Steve.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! So interesting..
Keep it up! Love you all..