Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Art Fugitives


I suppose in the final analysis I will be blamed. Yet somehow I'm not sure it was completely my fault. I mean who could get tired of museums? Right? First things first. Zoom in on this picture and examine the faces of Nathan and Emily (also you may want to satisfy yourself that Hercules in the background is indeed wearing a fig leaf). Then look in Lori's hand. Where did she get the knife? You must, as I did, wonder at its being pulled at this point. You might think, I should have seen coming. The first signs of boredom appeared earlier.

First Nathan:



Then Emily:



Of course I thought that seeing one of the most spectacular Museums of art history in the world would be educational (and it was, actually, as Lori commented to Emily at some of the unfigleafed statues, "At least you know what boys parts look like" whereupon Emily said "Yeah."). We saw real human mummies, and crocodile mummies and cat mummies. How cool is that. And what about this picture of the inside of a sarcophagus taken with a flash before Lori got tackled by the guards and reminded, "NO FLASH:"



(Which I thought so cool I decided to get it tattooed on my back). But as the museum wore on the weariness of my charges grew until we reached a painting that gave Nathan what I'd hoped he would experience at being in the one of the finest art museums in the world, i.e., the experience of art giving voice to his innermost feelings, :





It was shortly thereafter where Lori pulled the knife and took the kids and fled the Museum. They are now art history fugitives last seen in this surveillance video capture of the three of them in the Ubahn shortly thereafter:





So these questions remain. Why did Lori bring the fearsome weapon into the museum in the first place? Doesn't that speak of premeditation? Had the decision been made that I had dragged them to one to many museums been made before we left? Will Nathan become an Art History major in collage? Emily an Anatomist? Will I ever get them into another museum? Only time will tell. Only time will tell.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I didn't know better, I'd think that you all were enjoying yourselves. It is precisely this type of blog that my mother points to in reminding my and my brothers that our family just doesn't measure up. First it was the Hansen boys' successes and now it's the Pecks in Vienna that I can't live up to. How many family have pics of themselves on a Ubahn surveillance camera (without being on Vienna's Most Wanted tv show)? I can never measure up to this.

Figleaffed in Utah ....

Anonymous said...

I think I saw that picture on the surveillance screen on Americas most wanted. That might be why Lori had the knife. Id keep a low profile for awhile. Pretty cool to be hiding out in Vienna, who would suspect!! (I watch way to much crime tv)

Anonymous said...

Is it possible one can be overwhelmed with beauty and precious and unique things? I so recall being constantly amazed at the beauty of the cathedrals, but soon they get lost as it's hard to take it all in. Reminds me of an Autumn trip we took from Nebraska through Colorado when we were so in awe of the Fall foilage, but soon could not take in anymore beauty and quit noticing.

The nice part is that the memories stick and become part of us. We don't lose those great feelings even if we don't recognize them at the time. Love your pictures and report on these event. They start my day off just right. - Dad/grandpa

Anonymous said...

When your wife pulls a knife, she may be trying to tell you something, follow your instincts.

Klint said...

I was actually going to guess “Lori in the museum with the knife.” I guess I won. I sure wish I was there to get tired of going to museums with you. That looks amazing. You are really having an enviable experience. I guess for now we will just live vicariously through you guys. Emily, I loved your note you really are a sweetheart. Nathan, the schnitzel looked good, glad your getting some yummy food while your there. Lori, get the recipe for that hot chocolate, which sounds really, really good. Steve it was good to talk you and glad you made it back safe and sound. Keep savoring your experiences

Anonymous said...

What a great adventure! Thanks for the pictures! I hope I can visit there someday.

Love, Russ and family