Thursday, October 22, 2009

Living smaller

While watching Oprah yesterday (I don't watch her a lot. I was really tired and turned on the tv and she was on) she interviewed women from different countries. The first people she did were from Copenhagen. It was nominated as the happiest place to live. There were lots of reasons but one that hit me was that everything is smaller and they didn't have a lot of "stuff". They lived simple.

I remember when we lived in Vienna we lived in a two bedroom apartment and it was very small. When our shipment finally arrived we had no idea where to put the stuff and found out that we didn't even need it. I learned that we can live on so little and still be happy


This was one of my most favorite, favorite stores in Vienna.


The Cafe Sperl was right across the street from us. In Europe, people go out to eat more and they spend a long time at the restaurant just talking with friends. I miss that too. Very relaxing.


These two pictures are the apartments across the street from us. It was taken out our apartment window.






I do miss a lot of things about Vienna. The transportation system, the architecture, small housing and simple things, eating out and talking for hours, but I also missed a lot of things here (in Utah). I'm wondering if I can bring some of what I learned there back here. I'm glad I watched her show cuz it was a good reminder to me. It's so easy for me to get caught up in "things".

2 comments:

Lesa said...

I think that is a great idea ... simplify, I mean. I need to throw out a lot of junk and focus on things that actually need attention.... maybe I should throw out the computer...

Chris said...

I wish I could have been there. :(