Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Rough Stone Rolling


So I have been reading this book.....Joseph Smith Rough Stone Rolling. It's taken me awhile cuz I have a hard time reading lots of info. all at once. I have to read a little, think about it and let it digest. And I've been doing a ton of thinking. This book is written by an active member who is a historian. Steve bought it at Deseret Books several years ago. There are tons of references (about half the book) of where he got his info......lots of journals, etc. I have a whole new look into who Joseph Smith was. It's good in a way because it makes him more human. It also shows how Heavenly Father can work miracles through all of us. I believe it was a miracle that Joseph Smith organized the church. There's no way he could have done it alone. There are also some things that I still have a hard time comprehending and may never totally understand. But it made me question more what I really believe.....what is truth and what is not, what it revelation and what is opinion? You have to read it with an open mind because it's not exactly what was taught in Sunday School. There's no sugar coating in this. I'm glad we can have personal revelation to sift through so many things we are told in life. But I do know that I think differently now than I did before reading this book........and I don't think that's a bad thing.

2 comments:

smwaters said...

Thinking differently. I like it.

Cap said...

I'll have to read it sometime. Sounds intriguing.