Sunday, September 6, 2009

The story of our wreck

On May 1, 1983, Steve and I were married 5 days. We drove up to Washington for our reception and then went down to Oregon to honeymoon on the Oregon coast. We were heading back to BYU before school started for both of us. We were on a highway between Bend and Burns Oregon.....it was 12 noon. After that I don't remember a thing.....still to this day and the whole day seems gone. In fact, I don't remember much of the whole week after except for bits and pieces. We were hit by a kid and his friend head on. He was going 95mph and we were going around 55-60 mph. We weren't wearing seat belt. Not many people did back then. What I was told was that 2 EMT men on a fishing trip came upon the accident and saved our lives. It took a half hour to get to town to call an ambulance and then another half hour to get there.....no cell phones. The drunk driver died. He had a blood alcohol level of .38 so he could have been passed out already...who knows. I had died on the scene but they were able to bring me back. No...I didn't see a light.....I guess I'm suppose to stay here and I'm glad. Steve's injuries were a broken jaw, front teeth and part of his pallet knocked out by the steering wheel, collapsed lung, broken ribs, broken sternum and I think he bruised his heart, shattered knee cap and lacerations. I broke my jaw in half, broken scapula and ribs, collapsed lung, and facial lacerations from hitting the windshield. We were in the hospital for a few week and had several surgeries. We stayed at my parents house for several months where they took care of us. Both of us had our mouths wired shut for six weeks. The pictures are of us in the hospital and my dad and sister by the car we were driving. As you can see....it was totalled.
























There's a lot more details to the story but it would take pages and pages to write it all up from,


recovering-Steve has screws in his knee cap to hold it together and I have permanent wires in my jaw. Steve also has to wear a partial.


after effects-Steve stared getting panic attacks and I wasn't the "beautiful bride". Half my face looked like raw hamburger. Steve still has a hard time with driving. I don't think anyone can totally understand it unless you've been through something like this.


court cases-We basically loss our case because the driver died, uninsured, 21 and in a stolen vehicle.


Maybe I'll write more up on it later if anyone is interested and if I can remember :) I'm just very grateful we both survived it!!!

5 comments:

Heather Tolen said...

Lori, what a brave endeavor to write about your experience. You and Steve are both extraordinary people, and it's remarkable how you've pulled together and lived such a fulfilling life since that horrible experience. Thank you for sharing it.

dpeck said...

We are so lucky to have you and your great family with us. Could have turned out much different for sure. You are brave and amazing folks and no wonder your loved so much.Thank you. Even horrible memories should be visited from time to time.

MJ said...

So weird! We saw an Eagle (I think that's the car Klint said you guys were driving) with Oregon plates, just yesterday, and that got us talking about your wreck. I know there's been long term issues you've had to deal with, but so glad you've recovered so well! Love ya!

Maureen said...

I love you both and I'm glad I get to tell you that often..

Jamie said...

Wow Lori, I knew about the accident... but had no idea it was this bad! What an experience to go through, especially as newlyweds. I'm so glad everything worked out... I can't imagine this world without Crazy Lori!